Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the plan

For some time now, my parents have been working to meet with the doctors and formulate a recovery plan for Aron.

They met with doctors today, and in a nutshell, this is the plan:

For the next two to three weeks, Aron will get range of motion every two hours. He will be in and out of the wheelchair more frequently. He will receive physical therapy daily. The ultimate goal is to get Aron ready for acute rehab, where the doctors estimate he will spend several months before the ultimate goal: to get him home. The doctors do feel that Aron is responsive, and that he is more alert. They said that family support right now is more important than ever.

Some things Aron has been doing lately: holding up his head better, looking at the appropriate person (look at dad, mom, etc.), punching the correct key on a calculator when told, and doing different things with his hands.

I visited him yesterday. It was very emotional because I haven't been in a while. It was nice to see his progress, but still sad to sit with him and have a one sided conversation. He is in good health, and overall looks great. Right when we got there my mom told him to look at me, and he did, right straight at me. It was hard not to cry as I looked in my brother's eyes.

These next weeks and months are Aron's chance to become a person again. We pray and hope for the best - we want him home again.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update. Aron and your family have been in my prayers for months. Have been anxiously waiting for an update these last few weeks. Am happy to know there is a plan in place and that you have renewed hope for some more recovery. I'm a friend of your aunt--we grew up together in Whittier. She told me of the situation this past summer. Please know that that I pray for Aron's recovery daily and for strength for your family.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update. Aron continues to be on my daily prayer list, as well as your family and friends who miss him as he recovers. I will keep praying.

    Maria (FAFC member)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to get another update!

    I can not pretend to know how hard this must be for you and your family to go through, but please continue to trust in God and His ultimate plan for you and Aron.

    The Quimbys will continue to pray!

    Blessings,
    Jayson Quimby
    GMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I check this site at least every other day.My association with Aron was through work-- an assistant for special ed. students in his class. He has been in my prayers since the accident. I haven;t visited because I have health issues .Does he need more visitors? Would it be beneficial? At the beginning there were posts from many other people. If other people need to step up and rotate for more visitors, please say so. So many of us care but have not come because we weren't sure and didn't want to intrude; on the family or on Amy. Post if that would be good for Aron. I will come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update. It has been a long road for all of you and there is still a long way to go. But as do I a lot of the people Aron has touched are all praying for him as well as you guys. It must be very hard on the family and close friends. I have only met Aron a handfull of times but they were all good as is he.

    We continue to pray for Aron and family daily. God bless you all and take care. Aron has a lot of friends and strangers pulling for him. <3

    Denis Underwood
    aka:Dr.Denny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I continue to think and pray with you for Aron's recovery and return to functioning beyond what we can imagine. I pray for the touch of God upon and, within Aron. Healing is possible. Yesterday I lifted up Aron's name in our synagogue for prayer and I felt God's response and healing hand upon Aron.
    Roberta, Concordia University Classmate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the update about Aron and for being so honest about your feelings of the time you spend with him.

    Aron is never far from our family's thoughts, and we continue to pray for his healing. We hope that these next few months Aron progresses to where he needs to be, so that he can go home.

    Tim & Karen McDermott- GMS

    ReplyDelete