Monday, May 9, 2011

smile



The photo above was taken May 4. From time to time, Aron will smile - if my parents are doing something amusing, or if he finishes a good therapy session. When these moments happen, it's nice for us because we get a glimpse of the old Aron. This is a nice picture of him but should come with a disclaimer - sometimes his facial expressions are disturbing, and it's clear that he is uncomfortable or unhappy. In case anyone is wondering - the red thing at his neck is the plug for his trach.

Just yesterday my dad was working with him to try and get some intentional sounds to come out. My dad was in Aron's face asking him to say "HA". My dad kept doing it, and about three quarters of the time, Aron did it back. This must have looked pretty funny to Aron, because he laughed at my dad. He's been making noise, and sometimes my parents can get him to say "ah" or something like that.

At therapy last week, he was being asked to do something, and instead reached up and scratched his nose. Maybe not a big deal for the rest of us, but a big deal for Aron. He also is still playing xbox and working with the iPad. His anti siezure meds have been further reduced and my parents report that he is more clear.

On May 7, a group of Nova buddies came to the hospital and visited with Aron. My parents want to express their gratitude for everyone who came out to spend some time with my brother.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Candace. It is such an encouragement to see that there has always been steady progress. I believe that these smiles and sounds are just the beginning of many. I hope he smiled a lot for your mom on Mother's Day! Happy first Mother's Day to you Candace.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As part of the Nova group, I would like to say thank you to Tom and Jill for allowing us to visit with Aron. I'm sure a lot of us were blessed that day and my hope is that Aron was pleased by this show of support for him. Keep smiling brother!! God bless you guys and keep up the good fight!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see a good pic of Aron! Miss seeing his smile on the GMS campus. will continue to pray for the whole family and especially Aron!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post and photo made my day. What a great smile! You are still in my prayers. Blessings, Cynde Knutson and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure God was smiling too! Prayers for Aron and his family for continued strength during his recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great photo. We are keeping you all in our prayers. I'm so happy to hear he's smiling and laughing. Blessings, Cynde Knutson and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful picture and post! So happy to hear he is still progressing, God is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love his shirt! My dad was so excited to see that Aron was wearing the shirt he got for him.

    As you said, this is a glimpse of the old Aron. It almost looks as if nothing happened. Glad to see he his doing well.

    Although this is a slow process, Aron is definitely making progress!!

    -The Stafford Family

    ReplyDelete