Sunday, August 15, 2010

Engine Firing Order Sparks Response


1…8…4…3…6…5…7…2

For most those numbers don’t mean much, but to Aron that sequence is engrained into his mind. Those numbers constitute the engine firing order for a small block Chevy, and they sparked a response for Aron. Tom, Aron’s dad, asked Aron to keep his thumb down for an incorrect answer and raise his thumb for the correct answer. He gave Aron the number order and asked if that was a phone number, and I could see Aron firmly pressing his thumb down. Then Tom asked if that was the engine firing order, and Aron resolutely raised his thumb.

We were all very excited and were praising Aron and telling him that he’s doing a great job and making us happy. Then Aron decided to open both his eyes wider and try to stick his tongue out—it seemed as though he was excited that we were happy and wanted to do all the things that make us happy at once!

We continued to ask Aron similar questions—what year is your race car, what day is your birthday, what year is your wagon, etc. For the most part Aron continued to correctly answer the questions, but after a while he seemed to get tired and his responses got slower and slower.

Aron had his eyes open for quite a bit, and we put his glasses on to help him see better. It seems like he is able to follow our movement a bit more. We asked him to nod his head if he could see me, and he attempted to do so. We’ve been working with him to nod his head “yes” and shake his head “no.” When we ask him to, it’s clear that he’s trying, but it takes a lot of energy and is still difficult.

As far as the weaning off the ventilator, Aron has been doing well but still has a little ways to go. He was able to successfully tolerate a gradual lowering of the breath rate on the ventilator from 16 all the way to 4—and able to compensate by initiating his own breaths. The next step is to put him into CPAP—a mode where he is hooked up to the machine but is breathing on his own. The last few days they have put him into CPAP, but he was not able to tolerate it. They moved him back to 6 breaths per minute because his breaths were too shallow and not consistently high enough. So please keep praying that they can finish weaning Aron off the ventilator.

On a personal note, I am moving to Malibu to start Law School at Pepperdine tomorrow. This has been a prayerful decision, and I feel a peace that law school is still where God is calling me to be. I also believe that Aron would want me to continue to pursue my dreams and passions. In many ways this is a leap of faith for me. As badly as I want to be there for Aron everyday, I’ve realized that whether I am at the hospital or not, Aron continues to remain in God’s hands. I will come home on the weekends as often as possible to still support Aron. Thank you to everybody who has prayed for this decision and helped me process everything that is happening. Also thanks to everybody who has continued to visit Aron. He needs friends and family now more than ever, and I know that if he could thank you, he would.

Please keep praying and trusting the Lord. Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. I love hearing stories of how God is working in the midst of this tragedy. I feel like it gives us glimpses into God’s bigger picture and plan even in the midst of our pain.

Psalm 27:13-14—I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.

-Amy

18 comments:

  1. Wow this is amazing! I wish I could have been there today to see all this. Thank you Amy for this detailed post and for all the effort you've put into Aron's recovery. I am happy to see you going to Pepperdine and you're right in thinking that Aron wants you there.

    I still can't get over the significance of this post. He's in there. He remembers things. He can communicate with us - even if it is with his thumb. Progress is progress. It is such a blessing to start the day praying for improvement and to end the day thanking God for what Aron has accomplished.

    We all miss Aron. This post makes me so happy - yet I'm reminded of all the times he just went on and on about cars and I wished he'd stop. What I wouldn't give for another evening at the dinner table hearing all about Novas. He's working on it, and clearly, the vast car knowledge is still in there. I hope and pray for the day when I hear "hey Candace guess what" followed by something about his car. I'll certainly be listening.

    Little brother I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful news, Amy. God indeed has Aron in His hands and you too. Blessings -Cynde Knutson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrilled does not describe how we feel reading about Aron's progress yesterday! Praise God to whom all blessings flow. We continue to trust and pray that God will heal Aron and bring him to full recovery.

    We look forward to seeing you again real soon Aron. Keep up the hard work!

    Much Love, The Shubins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, thanks for the update. Like everybody I miss Aron, and espscially at the track. Cindy and I were there when he made his first 6 second run and we were all cheering and congratulating him. It was a great feeling being there and I felt privledged to part of that experience because he worked so hard to get there. And it seemed Aron was always there doing the same for me, encouraging me and always taking the time to talk even when he was in the middle of working on his car. Like then, he is working hard to get to his next goal and respond to all of us cheering him on. Keep working it Aron, I will hold a spot for you in the pits. We love you brother! Bob and Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's a long haul for you guys, but I am proud of the way you are praying, encouraging, & working with him, he is so blessed to have such loyal family. I pray for much refreshing, hope, strength & encouragement, life, progress, breakthrough, for you guys & Aron. God be with you & fuel you with expectancy & faith & hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful to hear! I'm not sure I would have got the answer right so he must be doing fine! :-) Thanks for keeping us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris Anderson (Rookie @ SNS)August 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM

    Great news! I cant wait to see Aron this weekend. Amy, Congrats on starting Law School. Go Waves!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Amy
    Thank you for all of your posts that have kept us updated on Aron's progress! May you have success, strength from God and his peace as you go back to school. I am encouraged by hearing about Aron's progress and continue to pray for his complete recovery.
    Love to you, Aron and family,
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! I don't really know what to say other than I am amazed. God is SOOOO good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who would've thought a smallblock Chevy engine's firing order could trigger a positive response from Aron. His Dad, Tom, knew Aron had it memorized, gave it a shot, and Aron came through no problem. I'm sure Tom will think-up other car and Nova related topics that Aron knows well, and Aron will respond to them too! Way to go Aron....keep improving...and before we know it, you'll not only be raising your arm, you might soon show your Mom, Dad, Candace, Amy, and family how your clutch foot and gas foot work, use your left hand to make steering wheel motions, and your right hand to shift gears. Miss you much good friend, RK

    ReplyDelete
  11. VERY VERY awesome to hear. 1 year ago this labor day i was in a near fatal off road accident and for that first hour of coming back to life after being knocked out on impact all i was doing was talking to the man upstairs. to hear aron is doing better is awesome feeling. that man upstairs never seizes to amaze us everyday. good job aron and keep up the good work. your friend cholo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Amy,

    I only met Aron this year in our Concordia class yet I can tell that he is strong in mind, body, soul and family. My family is praying for him and you and his family as well. Take good care of yourself and stay strong in school.
    With Blessings, Rosanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so happy to hear all this good news!! Praying for u Aron and Can't wait to see my neighbor!! Love u buddy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy may God be with you. Your in our prayers. Aron would want you to continue to follow your dreams. Aron is in our Lords hands. Your all in our prayers. Thank you God for all that you are doing for our brother Aron. Love ya Angie and Bill GMS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Amy,

    I am so glad to know that you will start Law School after deep consideration. I am very sure that Aron would want you to pursue your own dreams.
    Positive thinking! "A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, health and a successful outcome of every situation and action (Sasson)."
    God bless you, Aron, friends and families.

    One of Steve's friends

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am happy to hear that Aron is continuing to make omprovements. It will not be the same starting school without him there. Praying for the whole family, but especially for Aron.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aron...being back at school working on the schedule has made me think of you many times the last few days. I'll be thinking of you every morning as I pull up trying to get to duty on time...what was it?? 4 out of 5 days a week when we pulled up at the same time trying to rush, yet not spill our precious starbucks??! Ha! good memories. God bless. You can do it. Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Big D and myself went to visit Aron Thursday. We talked to Aron about a lot of things but when we taked about the pictures and Amy and the cars he seemed to have more activity. He couldnt speak but you could tell he was trying reayyl hard to! I told him about our plans as a group to bring all of our Novas over one Saturday and do a drive-by while he was out with his family getting some fresh air and I asked if he would like that. He gave us a thumbs up and was moving his mouth if to say "You Betcha"! So our group is planning on doing anything that will stimulate Aron for a faster recovery. Just before we left that day we prayed with Aron. I am so glad we spent that time with Aron. I will try and get down there to see him as often as I can but being 75 miles away it makes it a little harder to just pop on down. But, we will try as often as we can. The Lord is with you buddy and so are all of your friends whether physically or in prayer and in thought! We are all going to help you through this! Al Schey (63 Pro)

    ReplyDelete