Monday, September 13, 2010

Three months and a day later…


The Shubin family and I thought it would be good to clarify a few things. I keep getting asked if Aron is “awake” yet. Although Aron still has a long way to go, the word “coma,” which is characterized by extreme unresponsiveness, probably doesn’t accurately describe his current state. To us, it seems more accurate to describe him as being in a state of “limited consciousness.” It just seems like Aron comes and goes. There are times when his eyes are open, and he seems very alert and responsive. There are other times when his eyes are open, but he is not fully comprehending his surroundings or responding to stimuli.

Over the weekend Aron continued to move his toes, legs, and fingers in response to commands. He has even been able to point two fingers when he is asked. When I was leaving on Sunday afternoon, we asked Aron to wave goodbye. He wasn’t able to wave his whole hand, but he distinctly waved his thumb up and down. He also seems to be gaining better control over his fingers. As I sit there holding, squeezing, or caressing his hand, he will respond by squeezing back or moving his thumb up and down my hand. All of this takes a lot of effort, and often wears Aron out so that he goes into a state that is less alert.

It’s difficult to be patient as he comes and goes, but we need to be reminded of how far he’s come and how faithful God has been in the midst of our pain. My friend Jeff reminded me of how present God has been throughout this whole journey. He wrote me, “He was there when Aron had a 50/50 chance; He was there when Aron stabilized; He was there when Aron squeezed your hand and opened his eyes; He was there when Aron went off the ventilator; He was there when we prayed and cried; He is there now and will continue the good work He started. The Lord is there for His people.”

The last few months feel like years to me, and it’s easy to start feeling weary. I need to keep remembering that God has not abandoned Aron or me or the Shubin family. He will continue to show Himself faithful, whatever the outcome. Thank you to everybody for your constant encouragement and prayers.

-Amy

Psalm 46:1-3; 10-11—God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging… “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.

4 comments:

  1. Aron has not been out of my thoughts or prayers for 3 mths. Sometimes I know that it feels much longer.The fact that he has come this far is a miracle, and there's more to come!We all must keep our faith strong, and keep supporting Aron.Sure miss being in Science with you. Kathy @GMS

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Psalm! Thank you Amy for your post. Our prayers are for you and with you as you weather this storm.
    Love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not personally know Aron, but from all I have read, the world is a better place because of him. I thank my co-worker Jimmy for sharing the blog which I follow and also forward updates to my family.

    We all know that the power of prayer in numbers works wonders and there are two different prayer circles my Nephews attend bi-weekly for Aron. He is blessed to have the family and friends he has and I am inspired by your strength and courage. With the family and friends Aron has supporting and loving him, progress will continue to elevate.

    Aron has no idea how big his prayer circle is. Imagine how wonderful it will be for him when God's plan comes to fruition and he reads this blog down the road!

    May God continue to bless you Aron, and your family and friends. They are blessed to have you in their lives.

    God Speed!

    Sandra B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been following Aron's progress since he left UCI. I took care of Aron while he was in our ICU. I was there when he transferred out and cried with his Mom as he was wheeled out on the gurney. It was a bittersweet moment because I had grown attached to the family and Amy, but it also meant that Aron was stable enough for transport to another facility.

    I continue to keep Aron in my prayers as I know that is the most powerful thing working for him now, along with the support of his loving family and friends; I keep you in my prayers as well because I know how difficult this journey is for you too.

    Thank you for sharing that journey with us...
    ~Laurel

    ReplyDelete