Sunday, July 18, 2010

five weeks later

The past few days, Aron has worked very hard to come back to us. I should preface this post by saying that he is still in a coma. While he moves around and is aware of visitors, he is not yet awake. He has moments of what seem like wakefulness - he will move a thumb for Amy or move his eyelids when we play music.

Yesterday, my mom was working with him, and three times, he lifted his arm when she asked. The third time, his hand got caught on a pillow, but he still made an effort to move it. Also yesterday, my family noticed him moving his eyelids more than usual, and began to cheer him on and encourage him to open his eyes. He did, for a moment, and just a tiny bit. We wanted to wait to post about this until he did it again.

Today, my mom, dad, and I were with him. My mom started working with him and asking to lift his arm. Nothing was happening. We noticed his eyes moving a lot - it looks like he wants to blink. We started asking him to open his eyes, telling him he could do it, that we were there for him. We cheered and encouraged, and a very determined expression was on his face. I don't know how to explain it other than it was clear to all of us that he was trying very hard. His eyes were quivering, his face clearly showing the struggle. It looked so difficult that we started telling him it was ok, we knew he tried and that was enough. Just after that, to our great joy - he opened his eyes about half way. He kept his eyes open for about five minutes, halfway, blinking. We told him the date, that he had had an accident on his skateboard, and that he is getting well. This tremendous effort exhausted him and once he closed his eyes, we thanked him and reassured him some more.

The doctors have told us this would be a slow process. We now understand what that means. It is important that Aron wake up, and today was the first step. It happens little by little, and we are grateful to God for the progress he made today. Our family, Amy's family, and Aron's friends are thankful for your continued prayers.

14 comments:

  1. Chris Anderson (Rookie @ SNS)July 18, 2010 at 9:01 PM

    Great News Candace! The prayers are working right along with Arons drive to exit his coma. I hope to get over there this week and encourage him.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are with you Shub....our prayers are with you and your family...sending you lots of positive energy....high five my friend, God is with you, love glo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Candace for that great "report!" It was written so well that I felt like I was right there with you. Thanks again for the description of what is going on and the hope and faith that you all have concerning this situation. Blessings, Joe C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So grateful for the steps he is taking in the right direction - Praise God!

    We're all here cheering for you Aron!

    Thank you for the great update!

    Jayson Quimby

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no other better medicine than a prayer. We all need to continue praying for Mr. Shubin so that he can come back to us.

    Thank you Candace for the update!

    Shubin’s old student

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the news I've been waiting for! I'm thrilled Aron can open his eyes, though only half way, it's half way more than he could do yesterday! Aron I love you and keep up the fight brother.

    Bryan Hatcher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aron, I am so happy for you and your family, today is a great day!
    Jenice Clarke (GMS)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great news! Love the updates and thanking GOD for his progress. Continuing to pray for Aron. You can do this Aron!!

    Davina (GMS)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candace,
    Thank you sooo much for the update! As much as I like the picture of O'Riley and Aron...I was anxious for more news. Our plan was to visit Aron yesterday...but it wasn't God's plan. Now, I see why. I am so glad that you were there alone with Aron for this joyful moment. Our God is so good to give these times of encouragement just as discouragement is setting in. I am increasingly thankful that not only is our God in control...but good and loving!!!
    Love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. God is at work! This is exciting. Continue the work, Lord!

    Andrew and I, and the entire Frazier family are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been anxiously awaiting for the day we are told he's opened his eyes. This is good news and we rejoice with your family, Aron. We pray every night for you, your recovery, and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Lord you are our great healer. Thank you Lord everything is in your time. Aron I'm so proud of your progress. God Bless. Love Ya Angie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I also was visiting Aron today at about 3pm. When I first entered, I noticed his eyes seemed to be fluttering, but his right eye was slightly opened more. I started to pray for/with him and he started moving his left thumb a lot (back and forth) Then he moved his hand up about 5 inches. During this time, he also opened his mouth very wide like stretching it opened for about 5 seconds two times. This seemed purposeful and did not seem like a reflex. I just wanted to let you know my experience with him. I sensed that he needed to rest after that so I prayed once more and told him I would keep praying. He looked good with good color in his face. I am especially praying that he will be able to breath on his own soon. My prayers for Aron and family and closest friends that God May bless you with faith and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the updates, as our family continues to pray for Aron and his family. We are praying for complete healing, and can appreciate each step in Aron's recovery.

    ReplyDelete