Friday, July 2, 2010

Waiting on the Lord


Yesterday, we got the results from Aron’s MRI. The good news is that, as expected, Aron’s brain has been healing. This MRI compared to one from a week ago showed decreased bruising and less blood. It did, however, show damage to the left side of Aron’s brain stem. Since the brain stem is so small and dense the doctor doesn’t know exactly what area is damaged or how it will affect him. The bleed in his brain stem, like the rest of his brain, has been healing.
The real question is not whether or not his brain will heal but is how his brain will function. So we need to be praying not just for healing but for restoration—that God will fully restore the function to his brain.
We are yet to get Aron to respond to verbal commands to squeeze our hands or wiggle his fingers, and all of his arm and leg movement has been characterized as reflexes rather than responses by the doctors. However, today Tom, Jill, my dad and I were all watching, and suddenly Aron stretched his arms and flexed his hands, which is different than the reflexes and twitches we’ve been seeing. We’re not sure exactly what this means, but we’re hoping it’s a good thing.
Kaiser has been trying to move Aron to a sub-acute facility. They were planning on moving him today, but he got a low-grade fever (now he’s fine), so Aron will probably not move until early next week. So check the blog before heading out to visit. Tom and Jill have looked at different facilities and have chosen Little Company of Mary in San Pedro.
That’s all the updates for now. We are continuing to wait on the Lord and look toward Him for a miraculous healing and restoration of function to Aron’s brain. Only He is able, and our hope is in Him. Thanks again for all of the prayers and encouragement.
-Amy
Psalm 62:5-8—Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.

6 comments:

  1. I am waiting on the Lord.....I am praying for you, God grant us the serenity to accept the things we find really hard...He is with you aron.....we love you, with prayers of recovery....glo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, Thank you so much for the update. It helps to know how I can pray for Aron. I am glad to hear Aron stretched his arms and flexed his hands. That sounds like a good sign of progress. Praying for God's wings of healing and restoration.
    Roberta from Concordia Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aron, More thoughts and prayers to you, Amy and your entire Fam. I pray that these slight movements be just the beginning of a recovery.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy I don’t know you but I’m really sorry that you and Aron’s family have to go through this. We pray continuously for Aron and hope that he wakes up soon, so that he can continue enjoying life to the fullest. I’ am not sure what steps his family and you have taken besides talking to him when visiting but I was thinking of something that might help. The brain works funny sometimes, we need to keep in mind that he is sleeping and that his brain will react to sounds that it is familiar with. For example, has anyone tried to record the sound of a school bell when it rings? It cannot be any school bell; it must sound just like the one at GMS, maybe if he hears this a few times he will remember he needs to be somewhere and will wake up. Another good idea is an alarm clock. If Aron uses an alarm clock to wake up to go to work on a daily basis, then you should try using that same alarm clock. The sound of the alarm clock should remind his brain that he has to wake up since he has somewhere to go. I’m not completely sure that this will work but for now I think anything is worth trying. Please try this and let us know if there was any reaction. We will continue to pray for Aron’s full recovery.

    James 5:15 “And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fellow Nova wagon owner Jim Smith ((Last Wagon on Steve's Nova Site Forum) and I visited Aron this morning, just in time too as the nurse told us an ambulance would be by around noon to relocate Aron to his new home, Little Company of Mary in San Pedro. We tried to get Aron's attention but to no avail since he's still about the same....unresponsive to voice requests. He did, however, have random movements, and showed reaction when the nurse rubbed under his feet and pulled his fingers, which I haven't seen before. We said our good-byes and told Aron to hang in there, and that we'd see him next week. Everyone please keep Aron in your thoughts and prayers.

    RK Smith (chevy2guy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great testimony aron will have to tell about GOD and his healing power

    ReplyDelete