Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Update



We continue to be uplifted by small steps in the right direction. Amy has been with Aron the past several days and he continues to respond to her by moving his thumb. Today, while Amy and Linda were in the room with him, Aron stretched and almost sat up in bed, holding that position for a while.

Later this evening, my dad, mom, and I visited. Today, dad recorded Aron's race car engine revving, as well as Mandy barking. We brought the recording on an iPod, and Amy was putting in the earbuds - to do this, she had to move Aron's head to the side, and in the process, she was squeezing his chin. This is when we believe something pretty major happened - Aron lifted his hand towards his head. This is called localizing. So far, Aron responds to pain, but localizing is the next step - it means he is seeking out the source of the pain or discomfort rather than just moving away from it. I watched this happen from the foot of the bed, and got chills all over.


We are so thankful for this progress - it is small, but we have to start somewhere. My family is so grateful for all the prayer support of everyone across the globe - we continue to hear of someone who has brought Aron's situation to their church or prayer chain - be it here in the United States or in Bolivia. We know God hears every prayer and we trust His plans for Aron's life.

Candace

11 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Every single step is a reason to celebrate and have hope. We can't wait to hear more good news. May God be praised!!

    Blessings,
    Russ and Kathy

    2 Corinthians 4:7-11
    But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know that our family continues to pray and to tell others Aron's story so they, too, can pray. We are thankful to God for every step in
    Aron's recovery. God Bless, Lori Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    My name is Doug Markgraf, and I was told about Aron's condition by my friend Judy (who studied with Amy at Oxford). First and foremost, my heart and hopes go out to Aron and his loved ones- I know how scared you must be, but I can definitely see excellent progress from having read the recent blog posts!

    In 2006, I was struck in a hit-and-run and received a severe diffuse TBI that left me in a natural and induced coma for 14 days. Just like Aron's situation, no one was sure to what degree I would recover, and how long it would take. I know that is what is on your mind at this point, as it definitely was on everyone's mind for me.

    If you'd like to talk with me, my family, or a number of other people I've dealt with in my recovery, I'd be more than happy to be of help to you. You can visit the blog that my family set up during my recovery process at dougtales.wordpress.com to send me an email or (better yet!) see another TBI scenario. I'm glad I can help.

    My Best,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug....Thanks so much for your great encouragement! Praise God for His faithfulness to you and giving you life!

    Aron...What a girl you have there by your side day in and day out...and what a great God who is looking after you night and day!

    Candace...thanks for the update. God is so good to continue to encourage and give hope. We love you.

    Love, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the update!
    The Quimbys will continue to Pray for you Aron!
    Keep fighting!
    Jayson from GMS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praise God for the little (BIG) things! I continue to pray.

    Charmetra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aron, we think about you everyday. My family and I pray each day for you and your family. My daughter (age 5) asks me everyday "Is anything new with Aron?" We are all waiting in anticipation to see you again.
    -Jenice Clarke (GMS)

    ReplyDelete
  8. alright aron your doing great. its good to read all the progress and in time i hope we run into each other like we always did before. you got my support bud weather its help at the track or prayers for your recovery. you friend john. aka cholo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Heart rejoices with you regarding this step in the right direction!
    I will continue to pray for Aron, his family and friends!
    Love and Blessings,
    Sarah B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aron..continue to think of you and pray all the time for you. Stay strong.
    Julie Main

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are so grateful for Candace's latest report! Aron, we are spreading the prayer chain for you far and wide. We know God is able! Our prayers are also with the family and Amy. May the Lord be your strength during these days when you feel that you have none!
    Jerry & Lynette Haddock

    ReplyDelete