Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thanking God for the little things

Good news today! Aron responded to me!!! We are so excited and are praising God for this miraculous step in the right direction.

I asked Aron to move his thumb, and he did—at least a dozen times. The movement was isolated to his thumb. He didn’t move any other part of his body or arm, and it wasn't a twitch. I also asked him to move his fingers, and he did. The responses were not always immediate. Sometimes I had to ask a few times, and it seemed like a very concerted effort. At times he would barely move his thumb, and I wasn’t sure if I was imagining it or not. So I would tell Aron he had to move it BIG, so I could see—and he would move it more obviously. Aron is fighting to regain function, and God is answering our prayers. I think that Aron will have highs and lows as far as responsiveness goes. Sometimes he is more alert than others, and we need to remember that his brain is still healing, and he needs time. After responding for several hours, he seemed worn out and wasn’t as responsive. So we gave him a break.

My mom and I kept encouraging Aron and telling him how proud we are of him and how it makes me so happy when he responds. After that I kept talking to Aron and repeating all of the things that we’ve been telling him all along—how much we love him, that we’re all praying for him, and that we want him to come back to us. As I was holding his hand, Aron continued to move his fingers occasionally. To me it seemed like it was in response to what I was saying. He would move his thumb or repeatedly squeeze my hand, and I kept telling him that when he did that I knew he was hearing me and responding. He also squeezed my hand when I played music for him and talked about Mandy and how much she misses him. Everybody keeps telling us this will be a long process, so I am trying to prepare myself and keep the right perspective.

This definitely is not how I pictured coming home, and I know Aron had different plans that would have made us both immeasurably happy. But I keep thinking of one of the verses Aron wrote on his mirror: Proverbs 19:21—Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.

I appreciate everybody’s encouragement and prayers so much—more than words can express. No matter what happens, Aron is in the palm of God’s hand. He is faithful, and we will continue to trust the Lord with childlike faith.

-Amy

20 comments:

  1. aron...we are with you totally...we have faith and trust that you will recover as far as God has plans for you....Im squeezing your hand and giving you a big high five my friend....I will visit you soon...love, glo

    ReplyDelete
  2. aron,,,we are with you...keep responding...I am squeezing your hand and giving you a high five. My prayers, trust and hope are with you.....keep the faith , we are with you.....love, glo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news. I recently went through a similar situation with my sister who received a head injury from a motorcycle accident. To all who know and love Aron, know that God answers prayers, and this is a response to those prayers. It may be a long road, but keep the faith and continue to encourage Aron and lift the family up in your prayers. God answered our prayers for my sister and I continue to pray for Aron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great news. I just hope and pray for a full recovery, it may be slow, but hopefully complete. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is good news! Aron keep up the hard work. Thank you, God. Continue to encourage our hearts and repair Aron. Thank You for your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is incredible! Such encouragement just to know that he is attempting to show you that he is working on his recovery.

    FAITH, TRUST & PATIENCE...hard but necessary in all areas of our lives.

    And always remember that complete Faith can move mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank GOD!

    I am so happy to hear you are doing better! You are in our prayers.

    We love you Aron!
    Keep up the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to get down to the hospital to see Aron again

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of us pray for Aron every single day. His progress may seem slow to us, but God's plan is always perfect. May we continue to marvel at God's grace and mercy as He watches over and touches Aron.

    We continue to pray for you too Uncle Tom, Aunt Jill, Candace, Tony and Amy. May you feel God's presence, peace and strength every step along the way.

    We love you,

    Russ, Kathy, Luke, Ella and Audra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful news!! Every move is a huge step in the right direction!! We're continually praying for Aron, for you, for the entire family and for a full and healthy recovery!

    FYI Amy, I know Aron from First Baptist Downey way back when we were youngin's. :)

    I know a guy who sustained serious head injuries due to a Humvee accident back in 2009. Many of the same things that I have read in Joel's blog, I have read about Aron. I'll leave you Joel's blog address as his family blogged throughout his entire journey to recovery. But that is the key word: recovery. He now is fully functioning again - able to drive and everything. I don't know if you want to read his whole blog or not, but sometimes it's comforting to 1) read about a situation that you are currently going through (it's comforting to see you're not alone) and 2) read about the situation you're currently going through that has a very happy ending! :) Sometimes we can barrow strength from others who have walked in our shoes. You'll have to go alllll the way back to the beginning (first post was in June 2009, titled "Memorial Day - 31 May", then scroll down to the end of the post to get the day to day recaps). http://sgtjoelpeters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Aron!!! Baby steps!!! You totally got this!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise God! All things are possible in Christ who give us strength. Hang in there. I believe the Aron is going through make a full recovery with God's help and all of our faith in the Lord's ability to do it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO,SO happy!!! Finally get to cry some tears of joy! Keep talking to him Amy. He'll do everything possible to come back to you.I know that prayers are continuing from all over,including my home church in Wisconsin. Through faith all things are possible.Praise be to God and His continued healing of Aron! Kathy @GMS

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's wonderful to hear news like this-and to see everyone's prayers and words of encouragement is even more moving! As a student of Aron,I know my fellow students are eagerly hoping for his return to GMS-however far that step might seem,God will help him and his loved ones push on :) Ecstatic to read about his improvement-just like others!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! So happy to hear you are doing better Aron. God is bringing you back to your family and loved ones. We miss you in class and pray for your return also.
    Amy, thank you for this blog that keeps us informed. Your strength through this time is teaching others about faith. God bless.
    --Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. that right buddy keep it up your holding on just fine. lets put this in car talk. its like when we built are first drag car, first off with a lil mods we run 15 or 14 sec then we change a cam shaft and run 13s and with some 4;10 gears we run 12s well then after awhile longer and with hard work and the right tune up we run 10s in the 1/4 mile. well bud your moving thumb and thats a great sign cause before you know it you will be moving your arms and legs and hopefully with a lil more prayers youll be talking. stay strong and ill keep praying for. your buddy john j gazon jr. aka Cholo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. you can do it shub......we will wait..lvoe glo

    ReplyDelete
  18. everyday. . .everyway. . .God is in control! Aron keep up the fight. My cousin was just in a serious motorcycle accident. He is doing ok, but had to have very extensive surgery on his knee. God is working for both of you.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is great news! I have good memories of Aron, laughing with him about life, commiserating over students. I think of him often. Hang in their buddy. You can do it.
    Wishing everyone the best,
    Jessica-GMS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chris Anderson (Rookie @ SNS)July 15, 2010 at 8:19 PM

    Awesome News! Progress is what ya want. Many more prayers going out to ya Aron!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete